Saturday, October 20, 2007

Our good deed

My good friend and I decided to try to teach our kids to care about the earth, and to learn that we all need to do our part to keep it clean, SO...we adopted a street! We adopted 33rd street between Boulevard and Bryant (here in Edmond, FYI), and we have a sign that says "JD Kids", because all 5 of the kids' names start with a J or a D. We did our first cleaning of the street yesterday, and it took us 2 hours! We both expected an hour max, but boy were we surprised when we didn't get finished until after 6 pm! It was fine, though, and the kids learned a good lesson about not littering. We had a few funny moments, crossing the street at rush hour, and throwing pecans in the street (maybe that one wasn't so funny!), and, the boys had sticks with nails on them to stab the trash to pick it up, and my friend and I were just trying to not get stabbed! It was a great experience...here is a picture when we finished..we had already thrown away two huge bags of trash..who knew 33rd was so trashy?
I had to put this funny picture in too, it has nothing to do with cleaning the street, but it's too cute! We have been doing shrinky dinks every day for the past week and a half, and this is how Jodee sits every time I bake them:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodee,
I loved looking at the picture of you watching for your shrinky dinks to shrinky dink...I really like to be able to see pictures of you at home since I can't see you every day.
I love you and hope that you had a good day today.
There might be a surprise coming for you .... it is a secret.
I love you,
MIMI

Anonymous said...

Hey Dustin,
It looks like you might be famous...with your initials on a sign and everything. That is a really cool thing that you and your friends are doing and you will remember that for a long time. Was that Dylan in the stroller sleeping...I guess that he worked so hard that he fell asleep afterwards. See you at Thanksgiving for a fun time.
I love you
MIMI

The Best Family said...

What a cute picture! And you GO with your community service, super-mom!

Anonymous said...

Hey - you're making us other mom's look bad. You are so good to do that. I can't believe Jodee is 5 and I can't believe Dustin is going to be 8. Wow, has life changed for us in a great way. I saw the pic of Heidi - Can't believe she is old enough to be a teacher now. Where is she at? Well, you keep right on being such a fabulous Mom to the kids. They are blessed, and they probably don't even realize how much of a blessing you are.
Love you - Christy