Friday, April 24, 2009

The Land Run of '09

All of the 3rd graders at Dustin's school were able to re-enact the land run today! They learned about "sooners", learned how to square dance, made corn husk dolls, made butter, played games that children from that time period would have played, and made picture frames. Dustin had a blast! They all dressed up, too. Dustin's dress up was pretty tame....just wait till Jodee is in 3rd grade! I got some great ideas for her outfit....only 3 more years!!

Here's Dustin making his corn husk doll:


Working hard on his picture frame...his teacher took pictures of their land run "families" and will have them printed in black and white.
After I picked Jodee and Dylan up from school, we went to the park and watched Dustin and the land run! Here they are in their clothes for the run:


Dustin and his family getting ready!
They found their piece of land and were setting it all up:
Look at their covered wagon!! Dustin's friend's dad did that for us....very cool!
They also decided to make some shade--very creative--with their extra stakes.

And here's what Dylan was doing:
It was so cool---I'm so glad I got to help out with it, and be there to see him run! I know the other kids liked it too--they will be looking forward to 3rd grade now!

1 comment:

kj said...

I was in the 1st grade and I still remember the land run! Such a great memory!!!!