Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The BEST Concert EVER!!!

Well, I had the time of my life! I got to go to a NKOTB (New Kids on the Block, FYI) concert on Sunday night in Dallas with my friend Angie, and her friend Sarah. We had SO much fun all afternoon catching up on each other's lives--we've known each other since 4th grade in Iowa--that was about 23 years ago...wow--I'm really getting old! haha! Anyways, we had fun hanging out and talking, and laughing at all of her scrapbooks and memoribilia (sp?) of NKOTB from 20 yrs ago, or so. We went out to eat at a mexican restaurant--very yummy--but even better than the food, was what she found inside on the wall...the New Kids had been there earlier that day! Joe signed the wall...here I am by the famous wall:Then, she had been texting a friend that we went to high school with who is now married to a guy in the music business, who used to work for Jordan Knight. Long story short, we got passes to the After Show from Danny Wood...I was SO excited!!Yes, that says "DW" at the bottom of the pass! I couldn't believe it! We knew we probably wouldn't get to meet all of them, but they said whoever shows up, shows up. So I was going to be happy no matter what!


The concert was AMAZING!!! Some strange girl was up first with a funny little tutu outfit on. Whatever...I didn't really care...I was waiting for the New Kids! Natasha Bedingfield was the opener, and she was actually pretty good! I like her more now that I've seen her and heard more of her songs. I thought of Dustin during "Pocketful of Sunshine"--he detests that song!
FINALLY, the New Kids came onstage--we were SO excited! They sounded SO good, looked SO good, it was so worth it!
On a sidenote, the people at this concert ranged from nice looking women in their 20's and 30's, to crazy starstruck women stuck in the 80's, full with crimped hair, scrunchies in side pony-tails, miniskirts and high heels, and of course, NKOTB t-shirts from 1988! It was hilarious! Oh, and there were about 10 men in the audience of thousands...those poor, whipped, men. Josh would NEVER go...now I don't blame him! How embarrassing for those guys!
Anyways, back to the concert. They sang all of their good old songs, "The Right Stuff", "Please Don't Go Girl", "Forever", etc, etc. EVERYONE was standing up singing, dancing, having a great time. Then, during their newer songs, the girls next to me would sit down....WHAT??????? We stood the entire time, except during Joe's solo song, which I didn't know, and it was slow, we needed to rest our feet for the rest of the concert. Their choreography was really good--except during one song--Angie and I were laughing SO hard--it was during their song "Grown Man", and it was hilarious...we couldn't stop laughing! Don't get me wrong--they looked great, but this one little part of it was really not necessary!

Here is Angie and me at the concert:And, saving the best picture for last: I felt like a dork--we made him take like 3 different pictures with us because we kept blinking! It was like midnight--way past my bedtime--I was wiped out, and I couldn't keep my eyes open when the camera flashed! So on this one, Ang and I are both making our eyes stay open--it was funny. He was very nice and didn't seem to mind that we kept bugging him for another picture! Jordan was in the room too, but he was quiet and reserved and I didn't want to bother him. And he wasn't my favorite. Ha! Donnie signed my CD paper too...I didn't ask him, I just had it out on the table and their manager came over and opened it up to Donnie's picture for me and said Donnie would sign it....that was cool.. he was a nice guy (the manager).

I was FREAKING out that I had just met Donnie! Could not believe it. He was a lot littler than I had pictured...his arms are small! And he's really skinny. You can't tell that when he's on stage or on TV. But that's okay--he's still cute!

One more small story--we felt like we were on SNL while waiting in the room for them...this lady was SO annoying--and weird! She was with 3 other people, a mom and daughter and another lady. She asked one lady to make sure she didn't lose her contact when she took it out. That girl told her to go to the bathroom--no kidding--there was a bathroom right there! But she didn't, so she made the daughter who was probably 10 yrs old, watch her take out her contact, clean it IN HER MOUTH, and put it back in. GROSS! We were so annoyed by these people--it was unreal. I guess it was worth it, since we met Donnie, but come on! Oh, and she had an OLD winter coat with NKOTB embroidered on the back--looked like a flea market find. Not the real logo or anything. She had Jordan and Donnie sign it...and told Jordan she had met him 9 years ago. Do you think he cared? What in the world! It was interesting to say the least...but all so worth it!

I got home at 4:30 a.m. on Monday. I am way too old to be out that late. The first 2 hours of driving weren't bad--adrenaline was pumping, but the last hour was hard! Luckily Josh was waiting up for me, so we talked on the phone for some of the time. What a good husband!

7 comments:

DeeDee said...

I sm so happy for you that you were able to live out your middle school years dream.

kj said...

I am excited for you too, and I do love me some Walberg brothers....but come on girl he looks like he's 65!!! Once you meet Marky-Mark call me! ; )

Andi Hawkins said...

Oh my goodness, my friend Keri would be so jealous. You are cracking me up!! What a night. Hangin' Tough, baby!!

kel said...

Oh my gosh... you have Donnie Wahlberg's arm around you!!! I am so jealous! he is yummy! When I was in 7th grade, I just knew I was gonna marry him. Glad to hear he was friendly! (come on.. tell the truth... did you reach behind and give his little booty a slap?? cause I would have!)

ps love the blog!

Ninjaguy4567 said...

Hey Heather, you won the giveaway on Mom Spark! Email me at momspark@gmail.com for details!

Congrats!

kel said...

Yup... i have the cd and love it.. Its New Kids!.. how can you not love it?? So you still didn't answer my question, did you smack that hiney or what?? a little pinch maybe??

Unknown said...

I love this blog! It took me back to that night and I am laughing so hard right now. What a great time and so glad you were able to come to Dallas for it. It was so great to see you and catch up!