Monday, June 21, 2010

Kansas City Tour..part 1

Well, we made it to Olathe!  (About a week and a half ago.)  I just got internet service last Wednesday, so I have some major catching up to do!  I don't want to start with Olathe, though.  I know, everyone (all 3 of my readers!!!ha!) is waiting to hear about our life in Olathe, and I will get to that, but we went to Kansas City this past Saturday and had a great time!  So great, that I will start with that as my first Kansas post. 

First, did you know KC is known for its fountains?  I hope I'm not the only one!  Apparently, there are SO many famous fountains here, that it is 2nd in the world after Rome!  We saw a few of them Saturday, and hope to make it to all of them by the end of our stay here.  

Here we are in front of a huge fountain (JC Nichols Memorial Fountain):  some nice girls from Iowa took our picture!!  

Got a kick out of this:
Yep.  This was posted in front of the 2 ft. deep fountain.  


This is a famous building modeled after a famous building in Seville called the Giralda Tower.  

This picture is at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.  Those birdies are about 30 ft. tall!

Had to do a 'fire power' pic!! If you've seen 'Night at the Museum, Battle at the Smithsonian', you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Or, if you're my cousin Taylor, you'll enjoy this picture:

This museum was incredible!  The artwork was beautiful, and sculptures were so cool.  If only it were more kid-friendly!!!  I was SO tired of reminding the kids not to touch ANYTHING....not even the walls, that we were ready to go after just a couple hours.  But, before we left, we saw the Egyptian display--it was amazing.  A real mummy, a real tomb, SO cool! 


And on our way out, the knights also caught our attention!

Walking in the rain with the statues.  Yes, we got too close to these outdoor statues....they told us to move away from the artwork.  Really.  They're outside!  And it was raining!!


We did even more that day...but it will have to wait for another post!  Gotta get our Monday going!  First day of summer, and our 13th anniversary!  Woohoo!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it babe! Happy Anniversary! Can't wait to do a 32 fountain tour post with pictures of all of them...

Joshiw

Amy in Edmond said...

We were in KC last weekend for a wedding. I had no idea that there was so many fountains.

Someone suggested to us to go to the WWI war museum and memorial. I think she said it was the only one in the country.

It's very stressful going to museums when you can't touch anything. How do they expect our kids to appreciate those places?

Kayla said...

So fun! I'm jealous of your carefree fun summer!!!

Alyssa said...

I'm reader number 4! I'm glad you are all together now! Happy anniversary! And happy exploring this summer! Can't wait to read your blog!

Heather said...

Woohoo!! I have more than 3 readers!! Haha--thanks Alyssa! We are missing you all down there in Edmond--but we are making the best of our summer up here. It has been packed full of things to do so far, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.
Yes, Amy, thanks for understanding my frustration with the art museum. Seriously!

Tara said...

Just catching up on your blog--looks like fun exploring KC! Looking forward to hearing more about your summer. Congrats on 13 years....how is that possible that it was really 13 years ago? That makes me feel old:-) Not as old as when I think about how long ago it was that you came over to my house and we played on my Sesame Street swingset;-)